Friday, March 18, 2011

Spanish Wells via Current Cut

 We had a great day sailing from Alabaster Bay to current cut where we were setting up for going through the gap at 4pm.  We had calculated precisely the time of slack tide, because our information was the  current was so strong that we could not make headway if we did it during flood tide.  Well, we were wrong all around.  It was flood tide when we got there, and we were able to make headway.  The current was only 2.5 knots.  It seemed easy until the next morning when we heard about a boat, who’s crew we had dinner with a few nights earlier, had run aground, and their buddy boat flipped their dinghy trying to help.  By the end of the day they had made it off safely. 


We sailed into Spanish Wells which is just off Eleuthera.  It is a bustling community of fishermen and industrious people.  About 60% of the Bahamas lobsters come from the waters near Spanish Wells.  Bandit, Jock Morgan, took our money for the mooring, and offered us some lobstering advise, go north of Pear Island.  His family has been on the island since 1650’, so I figured he ought to know. 
Spanish Wells School
Clear Sea Snake looking Creature

We went out on our lobster hunt.  I spotted one under a large coral head, and bam, I missed.  The thing moved a little, and bam, I missed again.  It went around the end of the coral head and bam, I missed again.  I got some more air to try and get another shot, and it was sitting on top of the coral, apparently feeling very safe due to the spear operators apparent incompetence.  Then it happened, I hit the darn thing, right where I was supposed to.  I was holding the spear which was bending all over the place as the critter tried to escape.  I motioned Mike, who was standing by in the dinghy, and when I lifted it up there was disbelief in his eyes.  I could not tell how big it was under water.  We weighted it at just over 5 pounds, and the tail alone weighted 1.5 pounds.
Thats my foot, size 11
A quarter next to the tail
Lobster Dinner

We rented a golf cart and drove around the island, it is really a beautiful place.  It appears about 30% of the houses are for sale.  Maybe we will retire here.  
Cotton
Sunrise from our back deck

No comments:

Post a Comment